Welcome

With the GCC elections imminent, I hope you will take the time to read what I have to say before making your choice on whether you want to vote for me or in what position you vote for me. Although I am a McTimoney Chiropractor and have the support of many colleagues, I am not 'endorsed' by the MCA Executive. That said, my stand is to represent Chiropractic and I hope that, after reading what I have to say, some of you will feel able to list me as one of your preferences in the election. A first preference vote is always good but any preference vote is most welcome. I have tried to set out my stand on a number of key issues and hope that you would like to have a 'working' chiropractor on the GCC to represent your views, as well as what I call the 'committee chiropractors' - those candidates who hold multiple positions of power. For me, the GCC work will be my focus alongside being a Chiropractor. Please contact me if you want to know more about where I stand on issues. Best Wishes Jim

Wednesday 2 May 2007

Jim Odell - Who Am I What do I Stand For?

Who am I and what do I stand for?

I will give a promise that, if elected, I will answer any questions directly and take the time to discuss issues with UK chiropractors in whatever forum they desire.

My background is varied. Originally I trained as an engineer, moved into sales and marketing and then management consulting before returning to my real roots – musculoskeletal interests, or as I prefer chiropractic to be considered - neuromusculoskeletal.

During my early career I trained to be a fitness instructor, and took courses in sports science and owned a health club. So, really as a chiropractor I have come back to where I started from. The only difference is that I now bring a whole package of skills that I think will serve chiropractic well on the GCC.

I like to think I can combine the experience that comes with age, and the enthusiasm that comes from seeing what is possible with new eyes.

For those of you who like qualifications I have a BSc in Physics, Master’s degree in business administration, a post graduate diploma in marketing, a BSc in Chiropractic and I am currently half way through a Masters in Biomechanics.

What do I Bring to the GCC?

Chiropractic

As a relatively new recruit to the profession. I am unencumbered by past beliefs and attitudes and will move between models of chiropractic with ease and understanding. I have developed, and continue to develop approaches to working with the NHS. As well as having gained funding from 4 PCTs in my area, I currently have one yearly contract with a PCT for funded NHS treatments and anticipate 2 more in the next 12 months. I have liaised with the Department of Health on chiropractic issues and was one of only 5 chiropractors to be personally invited to the launch of the musculoskeletal services framework.

In order to continue to develop my skills and input back to Chiropractic I am completing an MSc biomechanics, developing research into chiropractic adjustments and research and write a regular feature on different conditions for a chiropractic magazine.


Engineering

Having trained originally as an engineer I am comfortable with research, scientific and technical approaches and able to put together logical, practical solutions to problems. However, whilst I believe in research I also know that ‘there are more things in heaven and earth....(Horatio)’ and that just because we cannot prove something yet does not make it invalid. We must combine research with an open mind.

Business

For my sins I am also an experienced sales and marketing professional having written and read hundreds of thick and often tedious documents. I have played politics with both UK and overseas government officials and in many business organisations. I bring the skills of writing and more importantly, implementing numerous communication strategies, organisational changes and process reorganisations.


I would like to think that I am an all rounder, with the skills and attitudes necessary to work alongside all of the people and organisations, within and outside of chiropractic, that are required to move our profession forward.

No comments: